Communications & Marketing Professional
Nationally award-winning digital communications and marketing professional with 15 years’ experience in communications management, integrated communications and marketing, public relations, and branding. Strong leader, listener, collaborator, and consensus builder who excels in cross-platform communications and marketing that delivers results.
- Web redesign & strategy
- Integrated communications
- Digital governance
- Social media strategy
- Consensus builder
- Change management
- Strong manager
- Project management
- User experience
Director of Digital Communications
August 2011 – Present
Davidson, North Carolina
Completely revamped Davidson’s digital presence to become nationally award-winning, direct internal and external communications and marketing, social media strategy and implementation, e-mail, video, and new media initiatives. Advise directors and senior leadership on digital communications, social media strategy, new media initiatives, media pitching, packaging of news stories, and crisis communications.
- Directed the redesign and rebranding of davidson.edu in 2012-2013, going from 19,000 pages at project start to 3,500 pages at launch. Responsible for all aspects of project: research, discovery, strategy, user experience, information architecture, responsive design, technical implementation, usability testing, content writing and editing, user training, vendor and staff management, and budget. Project involved significant change management and building consensus among staff and faculty.
- Integrated new social media strategy into college communications and marketing; developed new content workflows for news and social media production.
- Implemented new digital governance and standards, centralized website review and publishing process to increase quality across website; revised and updated online style guide.
- Member of college’s public affairs group, which sets strategy for increasing national visibility for college; launched new insert studio on campus to provide Davidson faculty experts with direct access to national media interviews; help lead efforts around high-profile college events.
- Manage a team of three and member of five-member leadership group of college communications.
- Led a digital-first approach to communications and marketing, which includes new editorial process and workflows for content producers.
- Social media strategy has garnered a 500% increase in followers and engagement.
- College has seen record applications, visits, and largest enrolled classes in its history during the three years following website redesign and new social media strategy.
- Year after site redesign showed a 12% increase in pageviews, 26% increase in pageviews/session, 14% increase in average session duration, and 13% decrease in bounce rate. Statistics based on 3,500 pages verses previous site’s 19,000 pages.
Director of Digital Communications and Marketing
Saint Anselm College
February 2002 – August 2011
Manchester, New Hampshire
Directed college’s digital presence, internal/external communications, social media strategy, e-mail communication, and new media initiatives. Managed, produced, and edited content in multiple formats (text, audio, photography, video). Authored online style guide, policies, procedures, and training documentation. Additional responsibilities included:
- Advised Assistant VP, senior staff, and directors on strategy for digital and print communications and media relations; external and internal communications with constituents.
- Advisor to College Advancement to determine strategy and tools for enhancing e-communication and resource development with alumni and donors.
- Consulted on college graphic identity standards for print and digital communications.
- Member of 2010 institutional strategic plan implementation committee.
- Project director and lead strategist for 2010 and 2003 redesigns of anselm.edu.
- Wrote redesign budget proposal and RFP, coordinated vendor and CMS selection process and oversight of multiple project advisory groups; negotiated $300K project budget and schedule, contract specifications with vendors.
- Managed project discovery, strategy, information architecture, user experience design, strategy, site accessibility, usability testing, technical implementation, content migration of 2,000+ webpages, content writing for 500+ new pages, Google Search Appliance and campus calendar implementation.
- Directed Ingeniux CMS implementation, centralized Web publishing and content review process, wrote training documentation and trained 120 campus users.
- Led team of staff and students covering six nationally televised democrat and republican presidential debates on campus organized by CNN, ABC News, and Fox News Channel in 2004, 2007, and 2011. Wrote news stories, coordinated photography and video coverage.
- Helped lead coverage around high-profile events, including visits from Sen. Hillary Clinton, Sen. John McCain, Gov. Mitt Romney, Secretary of State Madeline Albright, Gen. David Petraeus, Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Gov. Bill Richardson, among many others.
Public Relations Specialist
November 1999 – February 2002
New London, New Hampshire
Served as college graphic designer, editorial webmaster, writer and editor for faculty and staff e-newsletter, and news writer. Responsibilities included:
- Graphic design, print management, and production of college advertising, brochures, booklets, and other marketing materials
- Project manager for 2001 redesign of website
- Conceptualized and wrote college news releases, radio ad scripts, and other media.
- Wrote, edited, designed, provided photography, and published content for monthly internal faculty and staff e-newsletter
Marketing Campaign Coordinator
Community Involved in Sustain Agriculture (CISA)
South Deerfield, Massachusetts
Provided initial planning and implementation for CISA’s $100,000 “buy locally grown” marketing campaign. Responsibilities included:
- Marketing campaign planning, message development, brand identity, and point-of-purchase promotional materials
- Assisted with public relations, foundation and community-partner solicitation and cultivation, farmer and retailer recruitment and data collection, and development of campaign evaluation strategy
Building Program Manager
Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA)
Coordinated special events, professional conferences, training workshops, and trade shows for 500-to-1,000 building industry professionals on renewable energy, energy efficiency, and green building. Responsibilities included:
- Public relations, marketing, and media relations for building industry professional conferences and trainings and for the National Tour of Solar Homes in 10 northeast states
- Graphic design for event and conference materials; managed website
Keene State College
Keene, New Hampshire
Bachelors of Science, Environmental Studies
HONORS & AWARDS
- Higher Education Marketing Report Silver Award (2015): Davidson College 30 in 30 Project
- CASE III Award of Excellence (2015): Davidson College 30 in 30 Project
- CASE International Circle of Excellence Bronze Award (2014): Davidson College website redesign project
- EduStyle.net – Finalist, Most Innovative Site Category (2014): Davidson College 30 in 30 Project
- EduStyle.net – Finalist, Best Community Driven Site/Use of Social Media Category (2014): Davidson College 30 in 30 Project
- EduStyle.net – Finalist, Best Community Driven Site/Use of Social Media Category (2014): Davidson College Social Media Hub
- CASE III Award of Excellence (2014): Davidson College Athletic Center Fundraising Website
- Higher Education Marketing Report Gold Award (2014): Davidson College Social Media Hub
- Higher Education Marketing Report Bronze Award (2014): Davidson College website redesign project
- CASE District I (2011): Two gold awards for study abroad and experiential learning videos (Peru and Belize). Project manager and executive producer. Speaker at 2011 conference on digital video
- Telly Awards (2011): Received six awards for study abroad videos covering study tours in China, Peru, and Vietnam. Project manager and executive producer
- CASE District I (2010): Bronze award for N.H. Primary Video (Student Voices). Co-producer
- CASE District I (2004): Saint Anselm College Web Redesign, Silver Award
- Massachusetts Innovation Technology Exchange (MITX) Awards (2004): Saint Anselm College Web Redesign, Finalist in Education Category
- Colby-Sawyer College (2001): Nominated for Employee of the Year (PDF)
Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE)
- CASE District III – 2/2014
- CASE District I Conference (attendee and invited speaker on digital video) – 1/2011
- Writing for the Web – 3/2006
- Marketing, PR, and the Net – 4/2004
Higher Ed Experts Webinar Series
- Responsive Website Design – 4/2011
- Master Class by Kristina Halvorson: Content Strategy for Higher Ed Institutions – 2/2011
- Social Networking Websites – 10/2007
EDUI Conference – Higher educational Web professionals conference – 11/2015
Ingeniux Three-Day CMS Training – 8/2015
Confab Higher Ed 11/2014
EdSocial Media – Reinventing News on Your School Web Site – 10/2011
Ingeniux Four-Day CMS Training – 10/2009
Poynter Institute – Multimedia Storytelling for Every Craft – 2/2008
An Event Apart Boston – 3/2007
PodCamp Boston – 9/2006
Podcast Academy – 4/2006
Podcasting in Higher Ed – 4/2006